Check out my website!

Sunday, 18 November 2007

View from the top



Hi again, here is my second attempt at watercolour from a pic Dallas took from the top of Ayers Rock (Uluru) when we visited last year. Yes, it wasn't long before my desert photos came out ha ha. The real difficulty with this was getting the sense of the height of the rock - 318 meters high or 986 ft in the old money. Putting it simply, no way on earth would you get me up there! The pic below gives me vertigo just looking at it... and I was mad at Dallas for going so close to the edge!



I'm not entirely happy with my rendition of the Olgas in the distance - not blue enough to show how far away they are but there's nothing I can do about it now so it will have to stay like that. Anyway, all in all I had fun doing this painting - took me around 3 or 4 hours all up so very quick. I think I will go larger from now on so I can really get in details. I'll need to buy bigger brushes tho. The colours I used in this were ultramarine blue, spectrum yellow, spectrum red, yellow ochre, burnt umber and cerulean blue. All Art Spectrum paints. I have a really limited palette at the moment but yesterday I found an American website called Daniel Smith http://www.danielsmith.com/categories/paint/watercolor/ds/default.asp where I placed an order for a whole bunch of exotic sounding colours. They have natural mineral colours which look divine, and very cheap compared to Aussie prices. And with the Aussie almost the same as the $US they are a real bargain. Only drawback is that they'll take 6 - 8 weeks to arrive :( so until then I'm stuck with my current range of 9 colours which is fine because I should be able to mix anything I want from them anyway.

6 comments:

lisa g. said...

the top painting reminds me of a place i visited in the southwestern part of the US...it's a lovely painting...ps, a hamster is a tiny rodent that people like to keep as pets...

Kitty said...

LOL - thanks for explaining Lisa. We have guinea pigs as pets over here but I have never seen a hamster.

I agree that our "red centre" is very much like the southwest US in places - there is one area near Palm Valley which looks like Clint Eastwood or John Wayne could appear at any time.

Anne said...

Great to see you back and painting again. I love to watch you work.

Kitty said...

Aww thanks Anne! I didn't think anyone would still be looking seeing it has been such a looooong time between drinks so to speak.

It's good to be back painting as well - I'm having fun now that I have weekends back!

Robert said...

Nice blog!
Forex Day Trading Systems

Ben1986 said...

Forex trading.Home Study DVD Video Forex Course
Free Telephone Consultation. Order Online Now!