Check out my website!

Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Reno update week 3

Well, finally things are getting off the ground with this reno - the builder starts today. The downstairs "granny flat" will be built in first to get it to lock up stage before he starts on the upstairs. Found out after he inspected the formwork the previous builder put up approx 2 years ago that a lot of it was done bodgy so he will have to remove it and redo it properly. Won't cost any extra apparently as such things are already included in the quote.

Yesterday I had the chore of accompanying the boyfriend to the kitchen designer to get the kitchen sorted. Probably a good thing since I am the one who uses it the most LOL. I have to say it was quite fun, well for the first hour or so anyway. After 3 hours there I never want to see another kitchen ever again! We went to Kitchen Connection and I'm quite impressed with their service and the price of the kitchen - around $15,000 not including appliances which Dallas has already purchased. This includes stone benchtops, self-closing drawers, feature glass fronted cabinets, large double sink with mixer and because he put a deposit on straight away they chuck in a doo-dad LCD TV with DVD player as a carrot to get people to buy. While $15,000 may sound expensive for a kitchen it is a pretty BIG kitchen - 6.8 meters long and 2.4 meters wide galley style. There are a total of 15 drawer and cupboard storage banks (average is 12 - 14 apparently). There will also be a huge walk-in pantry next to the fridge space but that is getting built by the builder much more cheaply than the kitchen place could do it - approx an extra $1,500 for that and a linen press.

Here are examples of what it will look like when done...

Sink and dishwasher side with glass fronted cabinets. Can't see myself ever using the dishwasher because we don't have enough crockery to get a full load. Hence the importance of a double sink...

Stove and fridge side. At the end of the kitchen near the sink there will be french doors leading onto the yet to be built huge mofo deck.



3D views of what it will look like when finished.

I am really not a "dream house" sort of person - to me a house is just a house - nothing to get my panties in a twist about unless it is a new IP purchase, but I have to say this whole reno thing is getting quite exciting. Of course, I'm not paying for any of it which makes a difference I suppose ha ha.

2 comments:

lisa g. said...

hey there...

reno jobs are really exciting!...last year we gutted the bathroom and made it into a small spa-like area and this summer we semi renovated the bedroom...i got so excited while picking out colours and furniture that i'm looking forward to working on the living room and dining room...it's not my dream house either but i'm happier now that the old energy has been replaced with much needed new energy...

Kitty said...

Hi Lisa,

I have not really had much to do with it so far. We started looking at exterior colours last night and I can't wait to get to the interior colour scheme and tile designs etc. Other than that I'm not getting involved much at all.

There is just so much hard work to be done with this one I am not getting my hands dirty LOL.