Check out my website!

Tuesday, 4 September 2007

Limbo

Its been a while since I have posted anything, mainly because I've had nothing to post and I am not one of those people who can just crap on about nothing, unless I'm at a job interview of course. Then I can't shut up when I really should. Anyway, just thought I would update this blog for the hell of it now that I have some news.

Firstly, I got the vacation job I applied for at Rio Tinto Aluminium! Yay! I'm so glad because after that long and very drawn out selection process I am not in the mood to do it all over again for the other 6 or 7 companies I applied for. Now I can relax and concentrate on my uni assessments without worrying whether or not I'll be employed in a meaningful job over summer. The pay is not great - only $826 gross/week but it is the experience of working in Occ Health and Safety for the largest mining company that I am after. The position is in head office right here in Brisbane too, with a site visit or two to probably Yarwun or Boyne Island smelter. I was hoping to get a stint for the three months on site somewhere say, Port Hedland in WA or somewhere equally far away, but that's OK - maybe next year.

Secondly, I have not been able to start my next portrait yet because we are moving on Thursday morning into Dallas's other house. I won't be helping of course, since I have an exam that morning, but it is still inconvenient as I have tonnes of assessments to complete at the moment. I'm looking forward to moving though, as Dallas will finally be starting on the house reno that has been in limbo for 2 years and after it is finished, we will be living in almost a brand new house. I might blog it's progress even though I probably won't see much of it but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Here are some pics of what it looks like now - it was last renoed in the 70's as you can probably tell...

View from the road of the front

View from the back - there will be a huge mofo deck when it's finished.

The 4-bay garage and laundry area. There will be a seperate living area down here as well as internal stairs.

The kitchen.

The dining area looking in from the lounge room.

The lounge area complete with psycho-kitty.

Our ensuite bathroom which happens to be the only bathroom at the moment. There will be 3 in the finished house.

The workbench er I mean bedroom. Doncha just love the 70s wallpaper and light fittings.

Our study which is really just another corner of the one big lounge/dining room. This area will end up being a front verandah.

The second bedroom which Dallas has already started ripping apart. That's a pile of asbestos sheeting so it is a no-go area unless you are wearing a respirator and sperm suit.

Our resident possum Frank who lives in the ceiling second bedroom. Poor thing - he will be evicted now.

As you can see, the whole house is an absolute mess. We don't usually live in such squalor being solid upper-middle class and all that ha ha but neither of us can be bothered doing housecleaning when it will all be pulled down soon anyway.

7 comments:

The Painted Sky said...

Awww poor Frank the possum, getting evicted :(

Congrats on the job, goodluck with the renovations and let's see the next painting.

Cheers JT :)

Kitty said...

Ha ha thanks JT. I have only managed to get as far as starting to sketch it onto the canvas so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can start on it properly. I'll have to set up a studio in the new house first though - what a pain.

Diva said...

Good to have you back! You ahve a big job on your hands. Best of luck with it.

Sailor Girl said...

You are welcome to participate in the second quiz with prize of Atlântico Azul!

Kim said...

congratulations on the job Kitty :)
looks like you have a big job there with the renovations......heaps of potential !!!!

pencilwizard said...

Congrtas on getting the job, hope it goes well for you...and look for the renovation, that does look like a alot of work.

Kitty said...

Thanks all for your comments. The reno will be a huge job - turning a 2 bed house into a 3 bed house with an extra bathroom too. Basically the whole house will be re-arranged with only the main bedroom remaining where it is.