Check out my website!

Monday, 9 July 2007

Portrait - WIP5



Making some progress on this at last although at times I just want to give up on it! Who would have thought painting people could be so difficult. Still, I will perservere until it is complete even if it kills me.

My portrait on the left is after the first colour glaze, which I used a transparent brown ochre. Looks like I spent way too long in the tanning booth... The portrait of D shows the next coat of colour completed. This was the most difficult step so far I think, and I really almost gave up on it when he ended up looking all wrong halfway through thanks to me stuffing up his nose. I'm happy with how it looks now though (phew!) The colours I used for the skin tone are my burnt umber/prussion blue mix for the shadows and Australian Grey mixed with brown ochre for the flesh tones. In the next glaze I intend to redden the nose and cheek areas a bit and add some highlights as well as a bluey/grey beard shadow around the chin/lower cheeks and upper lip. Due to the slow drying time of the paint at the moment, I won't be able to work me portrait until next weekend as I worked on it yesterday and it is not quite ready for another coat yet. Such a slow process!

Despite the extreme difficulty I have found portraits to be, I am intending to paint my sister and her boyfriend as a Christmas present. She has a lovely photo of them in Fiji with a beautiful sunset. Very challenging indeed, but I'm keen to try. That will be my next painting and as usual, it will be documented here step by step.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing a very good job. And its fun to watch your progress.

Science For Kids

sylvie d said...

Great painting Kitty, I have an award for you :-) http://sylvied.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/rockingirl-award-for-madame-fuelmyblog/

Kim said...

it's looking good Kitty !!!
I really like the shard of light on your boyfriends forehead...nice touch.....haha tanning booth....I'm sure you will get the skin just right...it is a slow process for sure...but you doing really well....your next portrait sounds interesting too......
all the best.....

Kitty said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments everyone! They are much appreciated for sure.
Thanks especially for your award Sylvie, I'm very flattered! I don't think you are on my blogroll yet, but I will add you.

Rohit Tripathi said...

Hi kitty gud job done by u, u wana know abt taj mahal or abt india visit rohittripathi.blogspot.com
thanx