Check out my website!

Friday, 1 June 2007

When it rains it pours...

The vacation work experience application process for various companies has opened finally, so I am busy busy busy getting my applications in to companies like Rio Tinto, BHP, Thiess, Shell and other resources/construction/engineering companies in the hope of scoring 3 months paid work experience over the summer uni vacation. Getting vacation work at these companies pretty much guarantees a spot in their highly sought after graduate programs which in turn guarantee an excellent career path. So, needless to say I have been putting quite a bit of effort into them.

Some of the questions they ask are interesting to say the least. Rio Tinto want to know if I have travelled extensively and what did I learn from it. Well, I have travelled a bit mostly when I was younger. I backpacked around the US and Canada solo in my early 20's. The most important thing I learnt from that was to listen when hostel staff advise you of no-go areas, because they are classed as no-go areas for a damn good reason! Don't know what they are going to do with that information, but maybe they will get a chuckle as they sift through what will probably add up to 100s of applications. Another question they asked was about personal achievements, so this weeks 10 on Tuesday came in real handy for jogging my memory.

Anyway, I probably won't be posting much over the next three weeks as I study for exams, get these applications finished off, try to finish my Ormiston Gorge painting in time to send off to the Ekka by July 13 and organise temporary secretarial employment for the winter break! I'll try to post pics of Ormiston Gorge as I get bits done - not much to do on it now but need to find the time to do it.

2 comments:

pencilwizard said...

Good luck with your exams, hope they go well.

Kitty said...

Thanks pencilwizard. So do I!