Check out my website!

Tuesday, 22 May 2007

Uluru Trees - New WIP


Here is the initial concept sketch for my next Winter Challenge painting. I snapped these trees when I did the walk around the base of Uluru, or Ayers Rock. The charcoal will be covered completely by paint as I work, but it still serves to get an idea of where things will be. I'm not sure about the tiny bit of sky in the top left hand corner either. I think I will make the whole top third of the painting the rock and not have any sky at all.


This is the photo reference. I think I will have a lot more of the light falling on the actual rock to brighten the background and keep the foreground in shadow as it is. I don't know how it will turn out, as the photo is pretty bland. I will probably have to use quite a bit of artistic license in this one I think.

5 comments:

Kim said...

This looks like a very interesting composition...the trees will make a great focal point Kitty...

Kitty said...

Hi Kim, I am hoping to make the trees the main focus in this one, along with the light and shadows they create. I would have preferred to use a square canvas again, but don't have on at hand.

Diva said...

This could be a stunner. Those colours are beautiful and will look great on canvas. Kitty, you are on a roll!

Kitty said...

Thanks Diva - "could be" are the operative words I think. It will be quite a hard job making this work, but I'll give it a go.

Lynda said...

Fantastic photo - I am really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - extremly moody!