Check out my website!

Thursday, 17 May 2007

Mum's Big Trip

My 76 year old mum left on her 60 day around the world holiday this afternoon. My sister and I took her out to dinner again last night as a final farewell. It was touch and go there for a while, as she hadn't received her passport and visa's back from the tour organisers in Perth until yesterday afternoon, so she was understandably anxious! Apparently they told her they had posted them two weeks ago, so we all assumed they posted them in the regular mail, not priority next-day delivery. As it turned out, they did post them priority, but the girl, who we shall call Sarah (because that is her name) forgot to sign the No Dangerous Goods declaration so the package had to go by road.

Of course mum phoned the tour company to give Sarah "a piece of her mind" about this oversight which could have easily meant she had to rebook the trip, but luckily for her (Sarah that is) she was on holidays so mum had to make a rather longwinded complaint to the manager instead.

Anyway, it all turned out OK in the end despite the unnecessary stress and she flew out this afternoon for Singapore where apparently a cousin of mine lives. Next stop Beijing and the Great Wall of China. I can't wait for the first update and hopefully some photos very soon, although if past experience is anything to go by, I won't hear from her until it's time to pick her up from the airport...

4 comments:

Sailor Girl said...

Have a nice trip!!! If she comes to Lisbon, Portugal, mail me and I will be glad to welcome her!!!

Kitty said...

I would do that but she is not going to Portugal this time, although I think she has been there before. She is going through China, Mongolia and Russia to Finland then through Canada and Alaska and back to Brisbane, so she won't be seeing much of Europe at all.

Kim said...

hi Kitty...
your Mum has picked some great places to visit....maybe she will send you postcards..or emails from some of those fantastic locations....

Kitty said...

She has always wanted to travel through China and do the Siberian Express train journey. She is a very keen photographer and has always loved travelling. I don't know about emails, but I'm sure I'll get lots of postcards.