Check out my website!

Friday, 4 May 2007

Mereenie Loop Track - Work in Progress



I have started work on my first Winter Challenge painting. It is from a photo I took last October on our Ayers Rock safari. This dirt road is the Mereenie Loop Track, a 300 odd kilometre "shortcut" from Ayers Rock to Kings Canyon, which runs alongside and through the West MacDonnell Ranges and some really beautiful desert country.

As you can see, I have blurred the photo to get rid of most of the detail so it dosn't distract me from the main colours and shapes.



This is the painting so far. All I have done is block in the main colours of the ground, mountains and sky. There will be a fair bit more detail than this in the finished work though, and the addition of trees and shrubs should give it more depth and distance (I hope). What you see here took me about half an hour, so I am well pleased with my progress so far. As usual, I will let it dry before going on to the next layer.

6 comments:

lisa g. said...

off to a great start!!...i love the palette you are working with, can't wait to see the final piece...by the way, my bio is mainly true except for bit about my parents and where i was born...i needed to take creative license on my bio, you know make stuff up to make the mundane more interesting...keep painting my friend!

Kitty said...

Thanks muchly Lisa - the palette I am using (so far) is Prussian blue, cerulean blue, Australian red gold, Pilbara Red and white. The final values will be much lighter though. I use a lot of Art Spectrum paints as they are made in Australia and have some unique Aussie colours that I love.

Lynda said...

Oh this is looking great. I think the colours really reflect the area you are trying to capture. Excited to see the next level.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Great start and the colours are truly Australian......You have made the composition interesting with the winding road ....good luck with your challenge!!!

Kitty said...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments. I try to do a bit every day, but so far not much more progress!