Check out my website!

Tuesday, 17 April 2007

10 on Tuesday - 10 Idols/Heros When You Were a Kid

This week's 10 on Tuesday - my 10 heroes/idols from when I was a kid. I don't know if I will be able to think of 10, but I'll give it a shot.

1. My Dad (of course). He did pretty much anything and everything for my sister and I from taking us to the library, fishing, driving me and my friend miles each weekend to ride our horses and taking my sister and I to the park most afternoons to "catch" magpies with the bird traps he showed us how to make. Of course I realise that no way on earth would we ever catch any, but he was always more than happy to take us. On top of that he did most of the housework and cooking and worked a 48 hour week to put food on our table. And he put up with my mother. That really deserves a medal!

2. The unnamed lifesaver who rescued my sister and I from the surf after we got caught in a rip on our surf mattress. I still remember the embarassment of being hauled onto the beach like a drowned rat to this day.

3. Wonder Woman. I loved her. I loved her outfit, her golden lasso and of course her invisible plane. I loved the way she made glasses look cool. Very important for a geeky kid who wore glasses.



4. Charlies Angels. Fabulous hair, fabulous outfits, fabulous boots. And they got to carry guns! I wanted to be a Charlies Angel when I grew up, but alas it was not to be.



5. The 6 million dollar man. Can't quite remember why, but I thought he was the greatest. I also thought he was real. I was and still am a very gullible person.



6. The bionic woman. Ditto to the above. However, I was terribly jealous when she married the 6 million dollar man and struck her off my hero list.



7. KISS. Dynasty was my very first ever album. I was 7 and it was the start of a long lasting love affair with glam rock. I saw them live a couple of years ago and was not disappointed.



8. The Fonz. I wasn't sure if I wanted him as a big brother or boyfriend, but he sure was cool.



9. Suzy Quatro. She was a rebel rock chick in black leather and we all wanted to be just like her.



10. Skippy the bush Kangaroo. It was a close call between Skip and Miss Piggy, but Skip won hands down in the end. I mean really, how could I not include Skippy? I still remember trying to do the bush whistle on a gum leaf and am convinced it is simply not possible.

As an aside, it is a bit sad to see that all my heroes are American imports - were there really no Aussie heroes at all during the 70's?

9 comments:

Debi said...

Great list! I haven't thought of Suzy Quatro in forever.

Patois said...

Suzy Quatro! Wasn't she the younger sister of Pinky on Happy Days? I'm with Debi. I haven't thought of her in ages! Funny list.

Cassie said...

You've got a great list going so far! It didn't occur to me to pick people in my life until I was almost done!

Jennifer of Dog.Yarn.Knit. said...

wonder woman is on my list, too.

Kitty said...

I think Wonder Woman is on pretty much everyone's list - and for good reason.

Julia said...

I agree with you, I was so jealous when Bionic Woman married the Six Million Dollar Man...but very cool couple...they were on my list too *grin*

Now the fonze is cool to have as brother, I always thought when I was kid, that if I had brother like that, then I can be cool too LOL

Great list! Happy Ten on Tuesday! Here is Mine!

Anonymous said...

Confess Your Love For Scott Baio!
Tell Scott why he should marry you! Send your confessions to VH1 and Scott may read your responses online!
www.vh1.com/shows/series/scott_baio/index.jhtml

sue beyer said...

Great list!! What's up Skip? :-)

Kitty said...

LOL - now you have me thinking about Fast Forward's take off of it. Awwwww Skiii-ip!