Check out my website!

Friday, 23 March 2007

Landlord Blues #2

Got another phone call from my PM today. Vacating tenants have moved out as notified, but due to a "family emergency" in NSW left without cleaning or making the repairs they were supposed to. Once again, there are cigarette burns on my 2 year old carpet - this time in the lounge, paint chips off the walls, security screen is busted and needs the lock replaced etc etc etc - total comes to around $1000 worth of repairs. Their bond will cover most of it including brand new carpet and thankfully the girl, who was the good tenant is sending the PM a cheque to cover the remainder, no doubt out of her money, for the damage her boyfriend did.

It turns out that the neighbours have had to put up with the unemployed boyfriend sitting around the house all day playing his music really loud and generally being a nuisance. They hardly ever saw her because she worked like 10 hours a day supporting his lazy arse, but apparently she was always lovely and well mannered when she was around. Why these nice girls hitch up with low lifes who stub their fags out on other people's carpets and don't give a shit beats me. He had a job when they first took on the lease (otherwise I wouldn't have signed it), but obviously lost it and didn't try or want to get another. Anyway, I'm sure the old nannas of the neighbourhood are glad he's gone. It always seems to be the boyfriend who is the troublemaker with the girls usually pretty good.

There are two tenant possibilities lined up, one is a single dad who owned his own house before moving to QLD and who is currently renting through Mission Australia. He has three kids ages 8, 12 and 14 I think who are apparently well behaved, and a little dog. I don't mind tenants with pets, as long as they are looked after and are not allowed to run amok and do damage, so the little dog dosn't bother me, and the kids are past the drawing on walls age, so they would be OK too, not that I am allowed to discriminate against people with kids....

The second possibility is a young couple, age 17 and 19 who are currently living with his aunt who is a current tenant through the property manager I am using, and she is a good tenant. The kids pay $100 each a week board, so they would be able to cover the rent no problems. She is a student and he works and earns good money.

So, I will maybe have a choice between the two. At this point in time I am leaning towards the single Dad, as he may be the more stable of the two, and having owned his own house, he will hopefully have some respect for mine. Either way, I am putting a clause in the lease that stipulates no smoking in the house!

In other news, I am working on my East Macs painting while Bikini Girl dries enough to start on the next stage. Stay tuned for the updates on both these paintings!

Link to previous post in this series...

5 comments:

Sailor Girl said...

Hi! I have Already written a post about you and linked you at the right column, where it says «Os sites mais azuis do mundo» (meaning «The bluest sites in the world»).

Love, from sunny Lisbon!!!!

Kitty said...

Thanks Sailor Girl! I am getting a blogroll together, and I will be sure to add your blog! I just have to figure out how to do it.

lisa g. said...

hey there, finally broke free from the 'painting slump'...i'm sure it's for those times that alcohol was invented!...sounds like you need some with the landlord issues you have right now...keep painting!

Sailor Girl said...

Nice!...
Today WE'RE GOING TO SAIL!!!!
I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Have a nive weekend!!!

Kitty said...

Yep, a couple of glasses of wine always works for me!

Sailor Girl - lucky you! I'm stuck inside and today is a beautiful day!