Check out my website!

Tuesday, 27 March 2007

Hasta La Vista Billy

Haven't posted anything for a few days due to being struck down by some weird viral affliction that has given me a continuous migraine and neck, shoulder and back pain. I now know what it would feel like to be ejected from a trendy nightclub and bashed by Tongan bouncers. Sitting down, lying down and walking are all excruciating and gobbling down 8 - 10 Herrons a day has only dulled the pain enough to enable me to drag myself out of bed and to the 'puter for short bursts of internet remedy. Finally after 3 days the headache has subsided and the pain is going, although I dream long, luxurious massages.

Anyway, now I'm able to sit for more than 5 minutes I thought I would post about my recent experience with everyone's favourite operating system - Vista, after reading this interesting article . I recently purchased a new desktop computer from Dell which came preloaded with Vista, which I was already wary of, but thought I could easily uninstall and load with a copy of XP I have. The fact that Dell was selling XP loaded computers for a lot more than the Vista ones was the first clue as to the horrors that awaited me...

To make a long story short, Vista drove me completely stark raving mad for the few weeks I had it by questioning each and every command I gave, much like an overbearing but well-meaning elderly aunt, not allowing me to install a number of software programs, particularly the pirated ones and then making absurd excuses as to why it couldn't. The default internet security settings are tougher than the border security between North and South Korea and in the end I bit the bullet and attempted to uninstall the damn thing, which of course didn't work because it is pretty much like an insidious virus and repaired itself after each attempt. So, I had resigned myself to suffering being treated like a retard by my own computer, when during a normal restart, I got the wonderful message on a black screen saying "Missing Operating System", which proves that there is a God, somewhere, and He will answer your prayers eventually. Finally was able to install XP, but unfortunately had to format the hard disk first and lost a lot of photos that I had not backed up. So there you have it, would I recommend upgrading? Not on your nelly!

7 comments:

Vic Grace said...

I recently bought a new system also but I was hesitant about Vista and had XP put in. I am glad as I have yet to hear anything good about it.

Kitty said...

Good decision. In hindsight, I should have asked Dell to supply the computer with nothing installed and all the software on a disk. I know of only one person who has not had issues with it - yet.

kellypea said...

Absolutely hilarious -- not you're being sick -- the missing operating system and whole Vista debacle. Glad you were finally successful. Buy a Mac next time :-)

Kitty said...

I would have loved to buy a Mac, but it wasn't within my budget. I got seduced by a 19" flat LCD monitor.

Sailor Girl said...

I Looooove Macs, but I have to stick to PC... But am affraid of Vista too!

Hey! Just posted an interesting article (got it from The Guardian) about the Portuguese having probably «discovered» Australia and not the Brits!!!! Isn't it amazing?? And wouldn't it be great?????

LOL !

Ryan Velting said...

hahahaha... I laughed all the way through this post because it is EXACTLY something I would have done.. Too funny!! Great post!

Kitty said...

Hey Sailor Girl, be afraid, be very afraid! LOL.

Hi Ryan, thanks for stopping by. What I really wanted to do was hurl the computer out the bloody window, but I showed some rare self control thank goodness!