Check out my website!

Friday, 12 January 2007

Tongariro Crossing

On New Years Day my boyfriend and I trekked the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand. Neither of us are hard core trekkers, and before this the longest walk we had done was around 2-3 hours long. Actually, I lie, we did the Tama Lakes walk a few days before the Crossing, which is the same distance but mostly flat and small hills, so much shorter and easier. However, before this trip, we had only done short walks and small treks in Tasmania and NT. What we really wanted to do was the walk to the Crater on Mt Ruopehu, but the weather has to be very good for it, and on the days it was good, we had other plans, so on the last day of our stay we had to make the decision to do the Crossing instead and it was well worth it despite the inclement weather at the top. Thank God it cleared enough to see the Emerald Lakes as they are definately the highlight of the walk. The walk took us about 8 or 9 hours including stuffing around for photos and a small rest stop to eat. Don't know if I would do anything harder or longer than this, ie overnight walks/camping etc but I am quite proud that I completed this walk - considering that I am really really really terrified of heights. I think in the future I would like to tackle other treks in NZ and maybe even Nepal or South America if not too strenuous but we'll wait and see. I was dreaming of a holiday in Fiji at the top of the Red Crater thats for sure! To view photos of the Crossing, go here: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/S1135817/TongariroCrossingNewYearsDay2007 The photo posted is of the Emerald Lakes viewed from the top of the Red Crater. Even though it was quite cloudy/misty, they were still breathtaking although the photo does not do them justice.

No comments: